Tuesday 30 March 2010

I Don't Believe in "I Can't"

The people at my software engineering job think I’m completely nuts. Well, maybe only one of them, but others stare blankly with wide eyes and gaping mouths whenever I tell them what I am up to. It’s not that I am crazy- I just have a unique way of doing things. I am trying to make life work for me by “engineering” solutions. I don’t believe in “I can’t…”

I believe in obstacles both real and imaginary that we put in front of ourselves. How many times have you heard people say you can’t do something or it’s not safe? I’m not talking about jumping out of a plane without a parachute here! – just normal things people actually DO all of the time. Take risks. I had to deal with people’s objections to my decision to travel to Peru for 6 weeks. “You can’t go alone.” “You don’t even know Spanish.” And of course my personal favorite: “But you are a girl!” Well, thanks for letting me know I’m a girl! That changes everything!

So many times in our lives we are told that we just can’t do things. From getting into a school to getting a dream job, the naysayers are always there. We hear discouraging responses when you try to do something you believe in, something are passionate about, something out of the “ordinary”. We are told we can’t do something because we won’t be financially secure, we won’t have anyone to take care of us, or it’s just not safe. It’s no wonder we’ve pushed our dreams aside to be safe, comfortable and bored. During my trip I did just about everything the health clinic professionals and my friends advised me against.

Right when I landed and made it through customs, I was met by a local Peruvian I found through couch surfing and arranged to pick me up through instant messaging and emails. We walked out of the airport and away from the airport to catch a cab. Did I mention it was 2am? All I kept thinking was, “unsafe, unsafe, unsafe…” But when we got in the cab and drove down to the rundown outskirts of Lima. At that point I heard every voice of every one of my friends and family in the back of my head – “This is dangerous”… “You should not be here!”. But at that point all I could do was move forward and trust my judgments. During my time there I drank the water I was told not drink, I walked down dark alleys I was told not to walk down, I tried to hitchhike when I was told not to, and ate from street vendors which I was told to avoid.

What’s the key?

Minimize risk! But… how?

First, the key to any risk is RESEARCH. No, I did not plan ANY part of my trip, but I did do research on how I was going to travel, both where I was going to stay and how I would get around. I also thought about being outside at night and sewed a pocket inside of my pant leg big enough for my camera and passport. So, unless someone robbed me and ran off with my old jeans, my valuables would be safe.

I even thought up a backup plan in case I didn’t get my pick-up from the airport: I was going to stay in the airport for the entire 6 weeks. Luckily, I didn’t have to fall back on that plan and had the most amazing time of my life! My trip did have some panic filled moments but it was worth it! And I am out to do it again- only for an extensive trip! What kinds of objections have other people had to what you are doing and how are you overcoming those objections?

Read the rest at http://nicholecarlson.com/

Self-Improvement Tips : How to Overcome Shyness

Would you suggest a good management / Self Improvement book?

Hello everyone, I wonder if you know of a good book or two that I can read. I I'm trying to be a better steward to improve my management skills and communication skills. I hope to be a strong leader someday. I've read enough Some books self improvement and do not mind reading several more. Thanks for your time.

treat these two The First-Time Manager by Loren B. Becoming Belker A manager Successful: How to make a smooth transition of personnel administration to lead others by Jack H. Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment