Sunday 18 April 2010

Self Confidence - What Do You Fill Your Head With - Worry Or Confidence?

I was training with a group of young soccer players in California talking about mental skills for soccer and the things that hold us back from playing a great game. And the conversation kept on coming back to “Worry”. Worried if I am good enough, worried if I make a mistake, worried that we will win. All this gets in the way of playing the game of your life.

Then it came to me, I asked the boys to gather round as I would tell them what worry actually is and not a mumbo jumbo sports psychology definition! And as they came closer and closer looking at me with intent I encouraged them to come closer still. Then I whispered worry is…worry is…”talking s**** in your heads” and after a little pause everyone laughed and got it.

Worry does nothing positive it performs no useful function! it keeps us from our best. Its that little voice that makes fears bigger, not always easy to stop but if we see it for what is it..Talking Sh** in our head we can laugh and raise it up to a concern and then do something about it. For example.

If I am worried I might not be fit enough I stay In my head even more and probably don’t do anything about it. just think about how unfit I may compare myself to other people over and over.

If I move that up to a concern I get my training shoes on and go out for a run, I take action or I do a few push ups or sit ups, Or I call Johnny and see if he will go down the park for a game.

Worry gives nothing constructive it paralyses you, move it to concern and we can take action.

So remember see it for what is it and Laugh when you start worrying yourself, you are better than that!!!

Improve Low Self Esteem Confidence Self Improvement

No comments:

Post a Comment